Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Great Purge of 2011

Last week, Bryn reminded her readers of an important, oft-cited William Morris quote: "Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." These are words to live by, and this reminder energized me to begin addressing my home organization.

This is by no means a glamorous post today, but I wanted to share my progress on one of my New Year's Resolutions: that of eliminating excess in my home.

This is where we stand as of this morning: a big pile to be donated to the Philly AIDS Thrift store in Queen's Village:
Here's just a sampling of what we are parting with:
  • My collection of fabulous 80's teen movies on VHS ("The Breakfast Club," "Say Anything," "Better of Dead"...etc.)
  • 8 Phillies rally towels (!!)
  • Brand new Woolrich for Target flannel sheets (too hot!)
  • More than 10 picture frames...
  • 3 surge protectors
  • An endless supply of Christmas-themed crap
My point in sharing all of these banal details is simply this: I've recognized that it's so easy to become a thoughtless consumer and collector of stuff, stuff that we have no affinity for or even any connection to. I want to avoid that as much as possible. Instead, I'd like to surround myself with meaningful things that are admired for their beauty or utility, or both.

Is anyone else beginning a "Great Purge of 2011" in their home?
If so, how are you doing with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1