Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Saturday Shopping in The City

Before heading to The Antiques Garage on Sunday morning, I spent Saturday afternoon with my friend Val (who, with husband Matt, kindly hosted us for the weekend). You may remember that Adam and I headed to Colorado this past summer to celebrate Matt and Val's wedding. As always, we had a great time with them.

Val was such a sport on Saturday. I dragged her to a couple of shops around the city and she didn't seem to mind the freezing temperatures.
Our first stop: John Derian!
The walls of Derian's two shops were adorned with jaw-dropping Hugo Guinness prints of various sizes. The first picture shows off a fantastic gallery wall comprised of Guiness's prints in vintage frames, but I couldn't help drooling over this large wildflower print (above).

The collection of mercury glass really sparkled.
These bird silhouettes were gorgeous, especially with the surprising red background.
The shelf of Cire Trudon candles really caught my attention.
I especially loved the bell jar cover.
John Derian's signature ephemera paperweights...so many to choose from!
Derian's furniture line had some really standout pieces.
This 2-person loveseat was one of my faves:
Somehow I forgot to include (!) a picture of my only purchase at John Derian, a porcelain playing card covered in hearts. I've got to figure out how to secure it, but when I do it will be added to one of our bedroom walls.

Next, after a brief respite at Starbucks, Val and I headed down to Canvas on Lafayette.
This store is light, bright, and relaxed. They were also having a fab sale!

Just in time for Valentine's Day: carved soapstone and slate heart-shaped paperweights:

I walked away with these soapstone candlesticks (for 70% off!). Full disclosure: these were on my wedding registry...but when I saw them at deep-discount, I went ahead and purchased them myself. Whoops!
(via Canvas)

Then, we walked north to Fish's Eddy, a store I fell in love with while still a New York resident.
I've always loved the variety of vintage portraits displayed throughout the store. Some are available for sale on the Fish's Eddy website. For a similar look, try Ebay, local flea markets, or Grandma's attic.
You know I loved this embroidered Connecticut tablecloth!
ABC Home & Carpet called our names from just across the street. I quickly spotted some Christmas decorations that I couldn't pass up at over 75% off (total spent at ABC: $11).
Can't wait to incorporate my glittered igloo and putz-style brick house:
Racks overflowing with discounted Madeline Weinrib textiles:
For the brave: area rugs made of silken tassels. The middle rug was comprised of a variety of red/fuschia/pink tassles.
In spite of Saturday's frigid temperatures, Val and I had a lot of fun.
It was fun to visit my old stomping grounds and enjoy the unique shopping that New York City has to offer.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun shopping recap! I'm in love with those paper weights. Perfect birthday gift to pick up for my Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm so jealous and love all your finds! Those vintage portraits are my favorite. I have one I found at local antique shop for $40. I'm off to check out Fish's Eddy now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, discounted Madeline Weinrib textiles?!? How'd you contain yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! Fran--the next time you're in the City, be sure to check out the discounted floor of ABC Carpet (in the ABC outpost opposite the larger, main store). There are MW rugs and pillows at much lower prices in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I've long adored that John Derian loveeat. I didn't realized he had store in NY. I'll have to check it out one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I'd made a stop in John Derian on my last trip to NY. Though I would have wanted one of everything!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1