Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Meet the Artist: Marc Chagall

During senior year of high school, my fabulous art teacher challenged my classmates and I to transform a famous portrait into a large-scale sculptures. Peers quickly chose works from the likes of Chuck Close, Andy Warhol, de Vinci, Modigliani, Botticelli...but I admit that I was stumped until I saw one of the most facinating paintings I had ever seen.

It was this painting, entitled "Self-Portait with Seven Fingers, 1913" by Marc Chagall.
(via Wikipedia)

Thus began what will be a lifelong appreciation for Marc Chagall (1887-1985), the Belarusian artist best known for his uncanny ability to synthesize many modern art movements such as cubism, symbolism and surrealism, in his work while also strongly reflecting his Jewish heritage. Not to be bound by any one medium, Chagall's extensive catalog included paintings, ceramics, prints, and stained glass.

For me, Chagall's bold use of color and effective use of light and dark are qualities that set him apart.
("Bella in Mourillon, 1926")

("The Birthday, 1915")

("Isaiah Under Divine Inspiration, 1956" / "An Angel, 1956")

("The Sky inflames, 1954")

("The Three Candles, 1940" / "Lilies of the Valley, 1916")

("Still Life, 1912")

("Jacob Wrestling with the Angel, 1963" / "The Creation of Man, 1958")

As the master Pablo Picasso said, "When Matisse dies, Chagall will be the only painter left who understands what color really is."

Thanks for letting me indulge my own interests today...I hope you like Marc Chagall as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. My first introduction to Chagall was also in high school. I used a daily planner back then and each week was a beautiful picture of his works. I became obsessed. Eventually, I got to see his work in person at SF MOMA. Breathtaking. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1